CONCORDIA PARISH LIBRARY BOARD OF CONTROL
WEDNESDAY, July 17, 2019
Concordia Bank – Monterey
- CALL TO ORDER
- PUBLIC COMMENT
- Circulation – The May and June finance sheets were examined. (See Attachment)
- Financial – Current Balance Sheets – May/June finance documents were discussed. (See Attachment)
- OLD BUSINESS
- Insurance – Brian Chandler of Reed Insurance made a presentation about the offerings of their company versus the Police Jury’s Insurance pool. Jackie Young made the motion to move the insurance to Reed due to a local company paying taxes into the parish. Jill Britt seconded the motion. All board members voted to move the insurance to Reed. However, the board asked the director, Bobby Sheppard and James Lee to speak with Mr. Wilkerson to make sure the Jury would accept the decision.
- Betty Jo Bragg – A funeral wreath was sent from the Library Board for the funeral services of past board member Betty Jo Bragg.
- Architect – The director stated the architect’s fee would be around $115,000 for the Ferriday construction job.
- Ethics – The director reminded board members to take the test.
- Concert/Lecture – The Concert is July 25 … Tribute to Patsy Cline. The lecture August 1 … is “Neil Armstrong”.
- Walmart Grant – The library received $750 to purchase new children’s books.
- Membership to LLA – All board members have been renewed for their membership to LLA.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Art Grant – The Art grant has been submitted and will know at the end of August if the library will receive the grant.
- LEH Grant – The program on the Natchez Indians will be presented for archeology information with scholars “Smokey” Joe Franks and Dr. Pete Gregory. The library is preparing LEH Application.
- School System – The library will present information on Tuesday, July 23 on the services of Concordia Parish Library to help all students.
- Vidalia Back to School Bash – The Library will participate in the Bash and will hand out information on databases and e-services along with pencils, earbuds, and erasers.
- Role Playing of Abraham Lincoln – February 27, 2020 – Vidalia Library. The Library will present a program on the life of Abraham Lincoln.
- Personnel – one staff member is leaving for nursing school and the library will hire a new person.
- Disaster Preparedness – The library unplugged all computer equipment, updated the staff contact list and got sandbags for the back doors in Clayton and Ferriday.
- Weeding – The library has weeded about 1,500 books and is working with the Better World Book company to donate to the literacy foundation.
- Programs (See Attachments)
- “Tribute to Patsy Cline” Concert – Thursday, July 25th @ 7:00 PM; Concordia Bank & Trust, Vidalia
- “Man on the Moon – Neil Armstrong” discussion with Georgiann Potts, Thursday, August 1st @ 6:00 PM; Vidalia Library
- “Eisenhower” discussion with Georgiann Potts, Thursdays, September 19th & 26th @ 6:00 PM; Vidalia Library
- NEXT BOARD MEETING
- September 18, 2019 at 2:00 PM at the Clayton Library
- Meeting adjourned.
Kathleen Stevens called the library board meeting to order at 2:00 pm at the Monterey Bank. Members present were Jill Britt, Jackie Young, Bobby Sheppard, Renard Chatman, Kathleen Stevens, and guest James Lee. Absent were Marjorie Vogt and Jimmie Wilkerson.
The Board welcomed LaJean Corbett to the Board.
There were no public comments.
Mr. Renard Chatman made the motion to accept the minutes as mailed and Jill Britt seconded the motion. Motion carried.