CONCORDIA PARISH LIBRARY BOARD OF CONTROL
WEDNESDAY, March 20, 2019
- CALL TO ORDER
- PUBLIC COMMENT
- Circulation reports for January and February were reviewed. (See Attachment)
- Financial reports for January and February were reviewed. (See Attachment)
- OLD BUSINESS
- Clayton – the director stated that there were still a few repairs to be made at the Clayton Library.
- Annual Report – the director stated that the annual report for the State Library Statistics has been submitted.
- Ethics – the director reminded the board to take the Ethics test before the year is out.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Flowerbeds and Building – the director stated that the library has spent money on planting the flower beds and washing down the buildings and parking lots in Ferriday, Vidalia and Clayton.
- Entergy Grant – the director stated that the library was appreciative of receiving the Entergy grant of $1,000 for VOX books for young readers.
- Walmart – the director stated that the library has submitted the Walmart Grant.
- Rapides Foundation – the director stated that the library has submitted a grant to the Rapides Foundation to host the Shreveport Opera Express to two public schools.
- Preservation Grant – the director stated that the Concordia Parish Police Jury is working on applying for the preservation grant for possible renovations to the old courthouse.
- Paid Leave – the board agreed to pay Patsy Renfrow the total of Vacation/Sick Leave for the year due to illness – 2 broken arms.
- Facebook – the director stated that work is in progress on updating the library’s Facebook page. The director stated that the library is open to suggestions and comments sent to the admin email.
- Census 2020 – the director stated that library is open for training and meetings for census employees.
- New Test – the director stated that the staff is required to take the ethics, child services test and sexual harassment test each year.
- Room Usage – the director discussed how the library’s meeting rooms were being utilized. (See Attachment).
- Audit – the director stated that the audit is nearly finished everything looks correct so far.
- Vital Records – the director stated that she loaded all the important library records to storage boxes and delivered to Copiah Lincoln Community College. She is thinking about renting a storage unit it Natchez to store them permanently.
- Conference – the director reported the LLA Conference was educational and shared with the staff some ideas for the Summer Reading Program from NASA’s website.
- Programs – the director shared upcoming events with the board. (See Attachments)
- Jason Farnham Concert – Thursday, March 28th, Arcade Theater, Ferriday – 7:00 PM
- iPad Class – Saturday, March 30th, Ferriday Library, 9:30 – 11:00 AM
- Shreveport Opera Express – Friday, April 5th, 2 Public Schools
- O Solo Trio – Thursday, April 25th, Concordia Bank, Vidalia, 7:00 PM
- Basic Computers – Saturday, April 27th, Ferriday Library
- QuickBooks – Monday-May 20th & Tuesday-May 21st, Vidalia Library – 5:30
- Jill Britt made a motion to discuss the status of a board member, Renard Chatman seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
- The board discussed moving board member Bobbie Calhoun to Emeritus Status.
- Marjorie Vogt made the motion, Bobby Sheppard seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
- Jill Britt made a motion to discuss the director’s financial package. Bobby Sheppard second the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
- The board discussed increasing the director’s financial package since no raise taken in 6 years.
- Bobby Sheppard made a motion to increase the director’s financial package by 10%. Jill Britt seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
- PUBLIC COMMENT: There were no verbal or written comments.
- NEXT BOARD MEETING
- May 15th, 2019 at 2:00 PM at the Ridgecrest Town Hall
- Vice-president, Renard Chatman adjourned the meeting.
Vice-president, Renard Chatman called the meeting to order at 2:00 PM at the Vidalia Library. Members present were Jill Britt, Renard Chatman, Bobby Sheppard, Marjorie Vogt, Jackie Young, Jimmy Wilkinson, ex-officio and James Lee was the special guest. Members absent were Bobbie Calhoun and Kathleen Stevens.
There were no public comments. The board agreed to move public comments to the top following the call to order.
Marjorie Vogt moved to accept the minutes as mailed. Jackie Young seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Mrs. Jackie Young prepared a cheese cake for the board to enjoy.